Another hit-and-run in Bandra, woman survives

February 12th, 2007

Mumbai: Exactly three months after Alistair Pereira, a 21-year-old youth crushed six people to death with his Toyota Corolla at Carter Road, Bandra, there was a similar accident on the parallel Shirley-Rajan Road on Sunday morning. Fortunately, 43-yearold Rosita D’Souza survived the accident but with a broken leg, a fractured finger, a cut lip and chin, and abrasions on the face and back.

It was 6 am on Sunday morning when D’Souza stepped out of her building’s compound. She was on her way to her local parish, St Ann’s, from where, along with other community members, she was to go on a picnic. In the blink of an eye, a metallic blue Tata Indica came hurtling down, banged into a parked vehicle and the next moment rammed her and then dragged her for almost five metres before it sped away.

“I screamed ‘stop the car’ but there was no one around. I shouted for help and this time our building watchman heard me and came rushing out. I then lost consciousness,’’ she said, lying in her bed at the Bhabha Hospital in Bandra.

Her left leg is in a cast as the femur bone has been fractured. The middle finger of her right hand is also fractured and the tendons of the other fingers have been badly damaged. Her forehead bore a small bandage while her cut lip showed through the

The vehicle had come speeding down from the Rajan village end and was possibly going towards Carter Road when the driver lost control and first banged into a parked Wagon R before running over D’Souza.
It was the bang that woke up Sumeet Chatterjee who lives in the building opposite that of D’Souza. “I saw the metallic blue Indica go over the lady and I rushed down. When I reached there some people came out of the other building, put her in a car and took her to hospital,’’ he said.

Kenneth D’Souza, on the other hand, was woken up by the watchman who told him that his wife had had an accident. “When we came downstairs we saw the damaged car and my wife lying a few metres away from the building gate. We immediately put her in an autorickshaw and took her to the hospital,’’ he said.

Chatterjee then tried calling up the police helpline 100 but nobody picked it up. After a while he gave up and called up friends to ask for help. Then he called up the Khar police who arrived around 7.15 am.

“People speeding around do not realise the havoc they can wreak. I will go home but I could have a problem with my leg and hand for life,’’ said Rosita D’Souza.

Source: TOI(Mumbai-epaper)

Entry Filed under: Mumbai Road Accidents

Related News: